[Info-gcg] Re: GCG non-support

Peter Rice via info-gcg%40net.bio.net (by pmr from ebi.ac.uk)
Mon Aug 6 08:28:16 EST 2007

wmichaelperry from gmail.com wrote:
> We truly would like to have made GCG available as GPL or open source
> software.  This possibility was investigated but several obstacles were
> encountered that prevented a positive resolution. As there are no plans to
> invest further legal and R&D effort into GCG (necessary to identify and
> remove licensed, 3rd party software), it's unlikely that the GCG code base
> will be made publically available. Instead GCG customers with a perpetual
> license who have an active maintenance agreement on June 30, 2008 will be
> eligible to receive a non-node- locked license that will allow GCG to be used
> indefinitely on any currently supported platform.  This offer requires you to
> have a perpetual GCG license. If you have an annual license, special reduced
> pricing is in effect that gives you the opportunity at your renewal time to
> convert to a perpetual license.

Hurrah! That looks an excellent solution.

I posted a separate message about SeqLab.

> For those who are interested in using commercially supported product,
> Accelrys has partnered with BioTeam's iNquiry to offer custom bioinformatics
> solutions with similar or enhanced functionality to that of Accelrys GCG,
> SeqWeb and the Data Update Service. Most notably, BioTeam's iNquiry can give
> you a high performance, extensible framework for incorporating EMBOSS (which
> is similar to GCG) and other bioinformatics tools.

I met one of the BioTeam developers at ISMB in Vienna. There appear to be ways
we can make EMBOSS easier to maintain in iNquiry ... an obvious one is helping
to maintain the XML definitions of each application when we build a new release.

We are open to suggestions for new EMBOSS applications. A major task for us this
summer will be compiling a list of new applications and new feature requests. We
are aware that there are GCG applications that have no equivalent in EMBOSS, and
others that use different algorithms.

We are also looking for volunteers to help write some of the new applications
and add new features :-)

regards,

Peter Rice
European Bioinformatics Institute