[Info-gcg] Re: GCG non-support

Peter Rice via info-gcg%40net.bio.net (by pmr from ebi.ac.uk)
Mon Aug 6 08:13:31 EST 2007

Don Gilbert wrote:
> Steve Smith is still hanging around Wisconson, at Nimblegen
> http://www.nimblegen.com/corporate/management/ssmith.html If anyone could
> answer the question of copyrights to SeqLab, outside Accelrys lawyers, he
> probably could.

I found why the Mac version is concerned about "commercial products."

There is a more complete version of the license at
http://www.bioafrica.net/GDElinux/gde2.2.txt
(see below for a quote). As I understand it this is from the GDE 2.2 manual.

The code conditions appear compatible with open source licenses, including GPL
(assuming the "modifications ... should be forwarded to the author" is satisfied
by Stevn Smith having access to the modified code).

The "commercial product" condition is a problem ... but obviously it has been
licensed to GCG Inc (and now to Accelrys) with some special permission.

That suggests that the best way to make GDE/SeqLab available as open source is
for Accelrys
and Steve Smith to have a little chat.

regards,

Peter Rice