16S primers specific to myxobacteria

Steve Thompson stevet at bio.fsu.edu
Fri Jan 26 12:35:27 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, jerome Rigot wrote (in part):

> I am looking to screen marine-derived organic material for the presence of
> myxobacteria, and I need 16s primers specific to these organisms. I would
> appreciate any help, suggestions and potential source for these primers.

Hello Jerome -

Since you are using the Info-GCG news group I assume you have access to
the Wisconsin Package.  If so, you may find one of my tutorials helpful
with rationale primer design.  Naturally, its dataset is different than
the one you want, but the plan of attack is the same - based on a multiple
sequence alignment (which in your case you could get already prepared from
the Ribosomal DataBase) you can design primers to any level of specifity
you desire using the variable versus conserved portions of that alignment.

See URL:	http://bio.fsu.edu/~stevet/Primer_Design.pdf

				Cheers - Steve
						Steven M. Thompson
				A C T G		stevet at bio.fsu.edu