IUBio

The mystery of the forbidden names

Guy Bottu gbottu at bigben.vub.ac.be
Fri Feb 9 14:33:55 EST 2001

	Dear colleagues,

During an exercise session one of our students used seqed to make a
nucleic acid sequence file with name "protein". When he tried to run the
program composition, it took a very long time to run and produced an
output saying that there are O bases. The program translate stalled.

This is strange and a I never noticed it before. It seems that the
programs composition and translate do not accept certain input file
names. Besides "protein" another "forbidden" input file name is "new".

Anyone an explanation for this ?

	Sincerely,
	Guy Bottu