IUBio

Free GIF graphics driver for GCG (8.1)

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 15 18:41:23 EST 1999

I have just completed a free GIF driver which works with GCG 8.1.
So if you always wanted GIF output but didn't want to spring for GCG's
GIF driver, here is your chance.  It has been tested on OpenVMS/Alpha
7.2-1 and seems to be fully functional.  It may be picked up via either one
of:

   http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/pub/SOFTWARE/GCGGIF.TAR
   http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/pub/SOFTWARE/GCGGIF.ZIP

My older CGM driver is also still available at:

   http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/pub/SOFTWARE/GCGCGM.TAR
   http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/pub/SOFTWARE/GCGCGM.ZIP

If you want to be able to modify a drawing the CGM driver is the way to go,
but if you just want to use GCG graphics and paste that into another
document then the GIF will be easier.

Examples of the output from each driver with PLOTTEST may be found in:

   http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/pub/SOFTWARE/PLOTTEST.GIF
   http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/pub/SOFTWARE/PLOTTEST.CGM

The contents of the file AAA_GIFDRIVER_GCG.TXT, which is contained in the
distributions, follows my signature.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu

This directory contains my GIF driver for GCG 8.1.  The driver is based on
GD 1.3 by Thomas Boutell.  It has been tested on OpenVMS but should work
correctly on Unix too.  However, since I don't have a GCG Unix system I
can't provide installation instructions for that.  Note also that the
graphics driver on VMS is compiled using /STANDARD=VAXC because it breaks
in the parts provided by GCG without it.  You will likely have to use an
equally sloppy compiler mode on Unix. For instance, what "cc" with no args
will give you.

After unpacking this directory modify [GCG.GCGSOURCE.MAKEFILES]DRIVERS.AXP
or DRIVERS.VAX by adding the line:

GenObLib:gif.Obj  GenImage:GIFShare.Exe        GIF

Then build and install the driver with:

$ @BUILD_GCGGIF.COM

If you want to build GD as well (not required) also do

$ @MAKE_VMS.COM

Then append this line to GENCOM:SITELOGICALS.COM

$ GIF :== @GENCOM:GIF

and to GENCOM:SITEDEVICES.CONFIGURE add

!   GIF driver
command:     GIF = @GENCOM:GIF
context:     setplot,wpi

When using SETPLOT the output will always go to OUT.GIF.  When using the
command line the output may be directed to another file via:

$ GIF DIFFERENT_NAME.GIF

GIF's do not use LZ compression (due to legal issues) and so can be pretty large.

Here's an example:

$ GIF PLOTTEST.GIF
$ PLOTTEST

The GIF's produced have a white background color so be sure that you don't
draw with a white pen or the resulting graphic will be invisible!

Please report any bugs,

15-DEC-1999
David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu