Dayhoff Statistics

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 04:45:26 EST 1998

Daniel Bisig <bisig at bc.biol.ethz.ch> writes:

> I am trying to calculate Dayhoff Statistics for various protein
> sequences by using the program dodayhoffstat which is part of the egcg
> program package. Unfortunately the program fails to read the sequence
> and prints the following error message:
>
> -- Sequence ?€ invalid.
> DODAYHOFFSTAT needs a protein sequence.
>
> This behaviour seems somewhat suprising to me since these files were
> obtained by using the gcg program fetch. In addition other gcg programs
> such as bestfit read these sequence files without any problems.

The program seems to have lost the name of the sequence. It is reporting
"?\200" instead of the sequence file name.

I have not seen this problem reported before. If you send more details
to egcg at embnet.org (the EGCG support address) we will look into it.

A useful test would be to run the program with "-cdebug" on the
command line, and mail the resulting "dodayhoffstat.cdebug" file.