GCG figure files and PCs

Tim Cutts tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 04:48:36 EST 1998

In article <6cdlma$knc$1 at nntp1.ba.best.com>,
Greg  <jquinn at shell7.ba.best.com> wrote:
>Mike Mitchell <m.mitchell at icrf.icnet.uk> wrote:
>> I know that there is a Mac application, GCGFigure, that will convert a Figure
>> file into a Mac PICT file. Is there a Windows application that will perform an
>> equivalent conversion?
>
>> Thanx

>For what it's worth Mike, the Ardi program called 'Executor' is a Mac
>emulator that runs on a PC and it runs GCG figure just fine. (Whether
>you fell like blowing over $100 on it is another matter). You can pick up
>a demo at: http://www.ardi.com (I have no connection with Ardi). I
>believe that GCG also licenses a Gif format driver, which would obviously
>allow you to use the file on a PC.

Executor is indeed a good product, but I don't think it's what this person
wants.  Presumably the whole point in getting the output into a format for
the PC is so that he can then put it in PC documents, so getting into PICT
format doesn't help much.

There are various approaches that could be tried, most of which cost
nothing.

In particular, try using GCG's HPGL output driver.  Assuming you want this
output to end up in a Microsoft Office document of some sort, you can then
use the HPGL import filter that comes with Microsoft Office, and works with
both PowerPoint and Word.

A second alternative, which is worthwhile if you want your pictures
available for WWW use, is to use either GCG's HPGL or postscript drivers,
and then use hp2xx or ghostscript respectively to render the image as a GIF
file, which you can then easily convert to all manner of other formats.

Tim.