Availability of EGCG9?

Steve Smith Steve at gcg.com
Mon Feb 9 10:37:07 EST 1998

Tim Cutts wrote:

> In article <6bla0c$a1h$1 at nntp1.ba.best.com>,
> Greg  <jquinn at shell7.ba.best.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >Sorry if I've missed a post on this, but I was looking for the gcg v9
> >version of EGCG and I couldn't see it at the EBI site. Does anyone know
> >whether it's been released?
>
> I'm sure Peter will volunteer a more detailed explanation, but it's due to
> GCG's much more restrictive licensing in GCG 9 and later.  You can't build
> the EGCG stuff without a source licence (which is fair enough) but what is
> really silly is that Peter can't even distribute it in binary form either.

We make no restriction on binary distribution, but require that the
user's
site have a valid GCG license.

> Please, GCG, can there be an intermediate source licence where we have the
> headers and libraries, so we can at least compile third party software,
> without needing the full program source?  After all, that's the way most
> libraries are distributed.
>
> Tim.

GCG is happy to support all EGCG efforts short of source code
distribution.
We are happy to see binary releases of EGCG, we have made special
licensing
arrangements to EGCG collaborators, and are willing to provide platform
access
if needed to compile EGCG on all supported platforms.

If there are additional needs of the EGCG community that they would like
to discuss with us, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,
  Steve

--
Steven Smith