IUBio

Availability of EGCG9?

Tim Cutts tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 04:31:36 EST 1998

In article <6bla0c$a1h$1 at nntp1.ba.best.com>,
Greg  <jquinn at shell7.ba.best.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>Sorry if I've missed a post on this, but I was looking for the gcg v9
>version of EGCG and I couldn't see it at the EBI site. Does anyone know
>whether it's been released?

I'm sure Peter will volunteer a more detailed explanation, but it's due to
GCG's much more restrictive licensing in GCG 9 and later.  You can't build
the EGCG stuff without a source licence (which is fair enough) but what is
really silly is that Peter can't even distribute it in binary form either.

Please, GCG, can there be an intermediate source licence where we have the
headers and libraries, so we can at least compile third party software,
without needing the full program source?  After all, that's the way most
libraries are distributed.

Tim.