Evolutionary Analysis references

Jerry Learn learn at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 30 13:22:28 EST 1998

In article <354850A3.757C359C at bphvax.biophysics.rochester.edu>,
caal at bphvax.biophysics.rochester.edu wrote:

> With GCG 9.1, I'm finding out that the evolutionary analysis programs
> are quite sophisticated.  Not having much background in the evolutionary
> analysis field, I thought I'd better read up on the subject so as to
> better serve my clients.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on books, articles or
> even web sites that may offer an introductory to intermediate discussion
> of the subject.  I know that the PAUP 4.0 manual is not ready and the
> only other ref I have is Chapter 11 in a book called "Molecular
> Systematics."  Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Molecular Systematics, by Hillis, Moritz and Mable, is published by
Sinauer Associates (ISBN 0-87893-282-8)
<http://www.sinauer.com/Titles/frhillis.htm>.

I recommend it highly. It should be very useful to you. The PAUP* 4.0
manual should also be useful; it will be available from the same
publishers (ISBN 0-87893-801-X)
<http://www.sinauer.com/Titles/frswofford.htm>.

Best of Luck,
--
Jerry Learn <Learn at u.washington.edu>
Research Associate, Dept. of Microbiology,