IUBio

GCG subscription

Don Chen chend at ucs.orst.edu
Thu Jan 30 22:45:32 EST 1997

"C. J. Fields" <cfields at gab.unt.edu> wrote:

>Is it possible to get a single offsite network subsription to GCG for
>less than $150/year?  I want an individual subscription for my own
>research (accessed by my computer at home); my department is currently
>hashing out whether or not to buy the full package for our LAN, and this
>will take at least a year or two to get off the ground.
>--
>C. J. Fields
>Graduate Student, Dept. of Biological Sciences
>The University of North Texas
>Denton, TX

>email : cfields at gab.unt.edu
For what its worth.  Here's some information on the GCG access which
we are presently purchasing for our research.  A bit more than your
request for $150/yr access, yet it seemed reasonable to us.  The
sysadmin, Stacy Cuifo, is very helpful.  We purchased the 10MB option.

From:             STACY A CIUFO <stacy at oitunix.oit.umass.edu>
Subject:          Re: GCG access

Thanks for your response! Yes, there is still space available.
A standard account (which includes 2.5 meg disk space) is $250/
year.   This also includes email, news server, and a web server,
if you would care to set up a web page.

This is, of course, unlimited access and includes unlimited
user assistance.  The GCG program may be accessed via regular
telnet session or XWindows.  The graphic output may be printed
either way, but an Xwindows connection allows viewing graphics
on screen. I would be happy to recommend some Xwindows programs,
but they are not necessary.

If your lab has a networked printer with an IP address, I would be
happy to set up your account to print graphics directly to your
printer. If you do not have a networked printer, you may download
graphics for printing.

An "enhanced" account with 10 Mb disk space would be $500/year.

If you're interested, please let me know!

Stacy Ciufo
System Administrator
Molecular Biology / Biotechnology Computing Center
Dept. of Microbiology
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003

Don Chen            *  Standard disclaimers apply here.
USDA-ARS-NFSPRC     *
3450 SW Campus Way  *
Corvallis, OR 97331 *
                    *