Q: PostScript printing

David Womble dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Wed Apr 16 09:31:11 EST 1997

Cedric Govaerts (cgovaert at ulb.ac.be) wrote:
: In article <332CEA1C.5556 at cc.huji.ac.il>, andreyk at cc.huji.ac.il says...
: >
: >Actually it started as a GCG-related question...

If it still is, read on.

: >     Briefly, I need something with a syntax:
: >%PSfile_printing_program  PSfile_to_be_printed
: >     to easily print GCG graphical output saved in a PostScript file.

Printing GCG output is always an interesting problem to solve.  The
help file appended below describes how we do it in Detroit.  The
drag and drop file printing utility PrFile32 mentioned is freeware
and is available at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/P_Lerup/

It can print postscript or print-to-file files to either local or
networked printers.

--
David D. Womble                       Phone:  313-577-2374
Center for Molecular Medicine and     Fax:    313-577-6200
Genetics, Wayne State University      E-mail: dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
5047 Gullen Mall, Detroit, MI 48202   http://cmmg.biosci.wayne.edu/

DISPLAYING AND PRINTING GCG GRAPHICS AND OTHER FILES

Many programs in GCG have graphic output, such as restriction maps or RNA
secondary structure predictions.  You have several choices as to how to
handle the graphic output: 1) display it on your screen; 2) print it
directly to the printer attached to your PC or Mac terminal; 3) save the
output to a file and then print it later.  See also the description of
the GCGFigure program for the Mac near the end of this discussion.  These
instructions assume you are using the cmb UNIX Biocomputing Workstation.

THE GCG SETPLOT PROGRAM

Before you run a program with graphics output, use the GCG setplot program
to tell GCG how you want to display, print, or save your graphics output.
In HYGCGmenu, go into and execute setplot from the Display / Graphics
menu.  From the cmb% prompt, type setplot and press enter.  This program
presents you with a menu of choices:

|colorX     Color X Windows Graphics Window                         |
|monoX      Monochrome X Windows Graphics Window                    |
|psfile     PostScript output saved as file graphics.ps             |
|hpfile     HPGL output saved as file plot.hp                       |
|lw         PostScript output on your LaserWriter                   |
|laser      HPGL output on your LaserJet                            |
|tek        Tektronix output on your telnet screen                  |

Make your selection with the up or down arrow keys and press return.
These are fairly self-explanatory, but here is some additional
information about the various menu choices that may help you.

XWINDOWS

This will display the graphic in a window on your screen.  It works very
nicely if you have an XWindows emulator program on your PC or Mac, or if
you are using a UNIX workstation with XWindows built in.  For this to
work, you must first startup your XWindows emulator, and then tell GCG
where your Mac or PC is by typing from the cmb% UNIX prompt:

setenv DISPLAY my.ip.address:0

where you substitute your machine's IP address for my.ip.address.

PSFILE AND HPFILE

These choices save the graphic to either a PostScript or HPGL file,
respectively, that you can print later on any PostScript (e.g. Apple
LaserWriter or HP LaserJet 4M) or HPGL printer (e.g. HP LaserJet 4M or
Lexmark Optra).  You have command line options (-plot=filename) to change
the name of the file, which is important if you are making several runs
and want to save several different results files.  To print the file,
download it to your PC or Mac and send it to the printer.  During
downloading and copying to the printer, remember that PostScript files are
simple ASCII text files, whereas HPGL files are binary files.  Printing
instructions are included later in this discussion.

LW

With this option, the graphic is sent directly to a PostScript printer
attached to your PC or Mac.  It can be any PostScript printer, not just a
LaserWriter.  Make sure you set your terminal to print in transparent
mode, and you may have to set up page protection from the printer's
control panel to get it to print the entire graphic on one page.

LASER

With this option, the graphic is sent directly to a HPGL printer
attached to your PC or Mac.  It can be any HPGL printer, not just a
LaserJet.  Make sure you set your terminal to print in transparent
mode, and you may have to set up page protection from the printer's
control panel to get it to print the entire graphic on one page.

TEK

Some telnet programs, such as NCSA telnet, have built-in Tektronix
emulation.  With this choice, the graphic is displayed in a Tek window on
your screen, similar to the XWindows example above.  However, you don't
need to set the DISPLAY variable with this choice.

ADDITIONAL GRAPHICS COMMANDS

Other GCG graphics commands that are not included in the setplot menu
customized for cmb give you additional flexibility and a greater range
of graphics output devices.  These commands include: hpgl, postscript,
tektronix, xwindows, regis, and sixel.  Please read Chapter 5 of the GCG
User's Guide for information about these additional commands.

TESTING YOUR GRAPHICS SETUP

After using setplot to make your graphics choice, you can list your
graphics setup with the showplot program.  You can test your graphics
setup with the plottest program, which plots a GCG test pattern.  In
HYGCGmenu, go into and execute plottest from the Display / Graphics menu.