Locally Mounted Databases

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 31 12:44:44 EST 1996

In article <1996Oct29.144338.8556 at mcrcr6>, smithp01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu writes:
>We currently keep local databases and plan to continue to do so.  Howver,
>at this point we are about to run out of disk space for GenBank (maybe
>sometime in the next 1-2 releases).  What we will need to do is to split GB
>over several disks.  Is there a way to do this?
>
>We currently store several databases and they are on different disks with the
>appropriate logicals pointing to them.  At first glance, however, there is
>only a single logical to point to the GenBank disk.

Sounds like you are on a VMS system.  The way to do this is as follows.

1.  You have your database on a disk, say DKA100, volume="GBDAT".
2.  You have a new disk with nothing on it, say DKA200

$ init DKA200: G2DAT
$ dismount/nounload DKA100:
$!
$!  You do the following command only ONCE, to bind the disks together,
$!  thereafter they will act pretty much as a unit.
$!
$ mount/bind=gb_vol dka100,dka200  GBDAT,G2DAT
$!
$ dismount/nounlaod dka100:
$!

Then in your startup procedures you need:

$  mount/system dka100:,dka200: GBDAT,G2DAT GB_VOL

Which will mount them essentially as one big disk.  All references in the
GCG configuration files to absolute disk names (DKA100) should now point
to the first disk in this set (DKA100, you never point directly to DKA200).

You can add disks to the set later to expand capacity - up to 255 of them,
if I remember right.  You can BACKUP single disk images (so that you can
restore if one or the other disk fails) by using the /VOLUME switch.
Otherwise, you'll have to restore the whole set if any member fails.

As others have pointed out, there are similar sorts of commands on the
various Unixes.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu