IUBio

STRINGSEARCH and spaces

Ken Baker ken.baker at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 08:29:20 EST 1996

Has anybody found a workaround for this?

Stringsearch appears to strip multiple spaces out of the search string, to
leave words delimited by single spaces. We've got a user who wants to do
this:

stringsearch/str="ORGANISM  Genus species" (with two spaces between the
first two words, and the actual genus and species of course). What he gets
searched is "ORGANISM Genus species" with one space.

It's particularly galling because the entry in GENHELP concerning spaces
in search strings actually has two spaces!

I've tried including extra spaces, two sets of speechmarks, single
inverted commas, all to no avail.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers,

Ken.

Dr Ken Baker                          Internet: ken.baker at bbsrc.ac.uk
B.I.T.S.                       http://www.cc.bbsrc.ac.uk/biolist.html
BBSRC Computing Centre            BritishTelecomnet: (+44)1582 762271
West Common                                  Faxnet: (+44)1582 761710
Harpenden AL5 2JE                           ICBMnet:  51'48'N 00'21'W