profiles from prosite to GCG ??

Stuart M. Brown browns02 at mcrcr.med.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 18 13:25:38 EST 1996

In article <53ia6i$gu0 at rc1.vub.ac.be>, iribhn at ulb.ac.be (iribhn) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to retrieve profile matrixes from Prosite and use them
> in GCG programs (e.g. findpatterns). The only problem is that the
> format are not compatible. Does anybody knows a "translater" that
> can convert a Prosite profile matrix into a GCG profile matrix ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> (please email me at cgovaert at ulb.ac.be)
>

> Cedric Govaerts
> Institut de Recherche Interdisciplinaire
> en Biologie Humaine et Nucleaire
> Universite Libre de Bruxelles
> Brussels Belgium
> cgovaert at ulb.ac.be

I have spent some time playing around with this concept, but in a different way.
Rather than working with the profile matrix, I used the pattern from the
same Prosite entry (I think that the two are roughly eqivalent).

This pattern needs to be tweaked only a little bit - square brackets to
curved ones, etc, then it can be used with FINDPATTERNS.  Hoever, I only
got FINDPATTERNS to accept the new pattern by specifying a text file
containing it on the command  line, not by typing it in when it asks for
a pattern interactively.

Hope this helps
‹Stuart

--
Stuart M. Brown, Molecular Biology Consultant
NYU-MC Research Computing Resource, Dept. of Cell Biology