CGM driver for GCG

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 15 18:04:53 EST 1996

This is to announce the release of version 1.0 of a
CGM driver for GCG graphics.

It is available as a zip or tar file from:

  http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu:8000/pub/SOFTWARE/gcgcgm.zip
  http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu:8000/pub/SOFTWARE/gcgcgm.tar

It has been tested with GCG 8.1 on an OpenVMS/Alpha platform.

CGM files can be read by graphics and word processing
programs on many platforms (Windows, Macintosh, etc.).  CGM
files contain objects like TEXT and LINES so that the
graphics file produced can be edited without encountering the
dreaded GCG stroke fonts and zillion line segments for
dot/dash. (Unfortunately, while CGM supports arcs, GCG
doesn't, so any curves still come through as a zillion line
segments.)

Some of the programs that claim to be able to read CGM files
are:  Canvas, Microsoft Draw, Framemaker, Word 6.0 or
greater, QuattroPro, Wordperfect.  I've only tested the
results with Canvas 3.02 on a Mac and RALCGM on an OpenVMS
machine.

(Note, to turn off the stroke fonts and ensure that TEXT
objects are created with each and every GCG program the safe
thing to do is put this on the command line:

   /font=0

Most programs will use this by default, but some won't, notably,
PLOTTEST.  The text font is always Courier.)

This distribution has been tested on OpenVMS/Alpha 6.2 with
the DEC C 5.3 compiler.  It would probably also work
correctly on OpenVMS/VAX (but you will have to use a
slightly different link, or do it the way GCG intended with
MAKESHARE.)

Installation instructions (for OpenVMS/Alpha)

 1.  Unpack the distribution
 2.  @BUILD_GCGCGM
 3.  Add "CGM" to your site defined symbols:
     CGM :== @GENCOM:CGM

That's all there is to it.

Unix users - you're on your own.  The code should compile ok
on any platform, and the only pieces that I thought might be
VMS specific are already ifdef'd out.  Please email if/when
you figure it out and I'll include it in this distribution.

The CGM driver is based on the "cd" package, version 1.2
from the NIST, which was obtained from:

  http://speckle.ncsl.nist.gov/~lorax/cgm/cd.html

and parts of that are based upon "gd", which is copyright
1994, 1995, Quest Protein Database Center, Cold Spring
Harbor Lab.  Copyright details must stay with the package,
so keep it all togher. Details of the copyright etc. are in
the "readme" file.

Files in this distribution are:

AAAREADME.TXT          This file
BUILD_DEBUG.COM        Procedure for building debuggable program
BUILD_GCGCGM.COM       Procedure for building CGM driver (OpenVMS/Alpha)
CD.ANNOUNCE            part of cd package
CD.C                   part of cd package
CD.H                   part of cd package
CD.HTML                part of cd package
CD1.2_LSM              part of cd package
CDMULTI.C              part of cd package
CDSIMPLE.C             part of cd package
CDTEST.C               part of cd package
CDTEXT.C               part of cd package
CGM.C                  Source for GCG CGM driver
CGM.COM                Setup the graphics driver (Like sixel.com etc.)
COLOR16.C              part of cd package
DEFINES.H              part of cd package
MAKEFILE               part of cd package
MAKEFILE.BOR           part of cd package
MAKE_VMS.COM           Procedure for building cd package
README                 part of cd package

Please email me any bug fixes, comments, etc. on the CGM driver
and I'll try to incorporate them in the distribution (as
time permits.)

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
October 15, 1996