Help - database size limitation with toblast!

Charles Bailey bailey at genetics.upenn.edu
Fri May 17 17:34:09 EST 1996

In article <DrGKu5.796.B.midge at bath.ac.uk>, bsspak at bath.ac.uk (P A Keller) writes:
> We use GCG version 8.0 under IRIX 5.3, and I recently got the following
> error message from gcg_pressdb when converting a database to BLAST format:
>
>    database too big; raise ENTRY_MAX
>
> I have had a good look through the sources, but I cannot find any
> reference to this (presumably) preprocessor macro. I split the database
> into two parts, which has solved the problem for now.
>
> Does anyone know how to at least find out what its value is, and if it is
> possible to increase it?

While the source code for the BLAST engines and utilities aren't distributed
with GCG, as far as I know, they haven't made any real changes to their
behavior.  (As I recall, the reaons for skipping the sources had to do
with portability.)  Therefore, if you don't want to upgrade all of GCG,
you should be able to just get the current version of the BLAST package
and build pressdb; it no longer uses a hard-coded ENTRY_MAX.  Of course,
that involves getting three tarfiles and building the contents of each,
so you'll need to decide whether that's easier than upgrading to GCG 8.1.

Regards,
Charles Bailey  bailey at genetics.upenn.edu

[Reply Cc:d to poster - CB]