GCG Genbank database size

Lynna Stone-Infeld stone at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU
Mon May 13 10:25:57 EST 1996

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Alex Whittaker - BIU wrote:

> I'm not a regular visitor here so you will have to excuse me if this
> has already been discussed at length.  For the first time, the largest
> GCG distributed database has exceeded 2Gb - the GenBank release 94.0 is
> listed as 4206466 Blocks - and this is quite a watershed.  In the first
> instance this is the largest disk size we have mounted locally, and so
> it creates headaches.
>
>   My sysadmin has pointed out another problem however, the limit of disk
> size mountable under most 32 bit operating systems is 2Gb.  Now this is
> not the case for us (we run OSF) however it will create problems for
> many others.  I am aware that it is possible to split up the GenBank
> database, however this requires some work and is not done automatically
> by the installdata.csh script.
>
>   Unless anyone can offer a simple solution, I think that GCG need to
> look into this with some urgency.  I would appreciate it if any
>
>   Regards,
>

> --
>  -- Alex Whittaker ------------- -----------------------------------
> | Biomedical Informatics Unit   | http://www.biu.icnet.uk/~alex     |
> | Imperial Cancer Research Fund | alex at biu.icnet.uk                 |
> | London, WC2A 3PX.             | All I know is that I know nothing |
>  ------------------------------- -----------------------------------

The simple solution under OpenVMS on a Vax is to "Bind" two or more
physical drives together as one mounted volume set. (see "OpenVMS System
Manager's Manuel: Essentials Section 8.6"). On my system, I've got an RF73
bound to an RA92 for a grand total of 3.4 gb. I have all of the software
and data on this mounted volume set. The volume set appears to be a
single drive and has one directory tree. The advantages are that database
installations are clean and backing up the one volume set is a simple,
all be it, long process. My arrangement should be good for perhaps the
next 2 - 3 database updates, by then all our database searching will be
done over the 'National Superhighway', Right? !!! ;-) I'm planning on
binding another drive to this volume set by the end of the year. By the
way, this is not new to VMS. Years ago we bound disks together for another
database application.

Hope this helps some folks out there.

-- Lynna Stone-Infeld, User Services Manager
Biomedical Computing Unit, Yale University, School of Medicine
P.O. Box 3333, New Haven, CT, 06510              (203)785-4566
Lynna.Stone-Infeld at yale.edu  and   WebMaster at info.med.yale.edu