GCG Genbank database size

Alex Whittaker - BIU A.Whittaker at icrf.icnet.uk
Fri May 10 04:32:05 EST 1996

I'm not a regular visitor here so you will have to excuse me if this
has already been discussed at length.  For the first time, the largest
GCG distributed database has exceeded 2Gb - the GenBank release 94.0 is
listed as 4206466 Blocks - and this is quite a watershed.  In the first
instance this is the largest disk size we have mounted locally, and so
it creates headaches.

  My sysadmin has pointed out another problem however, the limit of disk
size mountable under most 32 bit operating systems is 2Gb.  Now this is
not the case for us (we run OSF) however it will create problems for
many others.  I am aware that it is possible to split up the GenBank
database, however this requires some work and is not done automatically
by the installdata.csh script.

  Unless anyone can offer a simple solution, I think that GCG need to
look into this with some urgency.  I would appreciate it if any

  Regards,

--
| Biomedical Informatics Unit   | http://www.biu.icnet.uk/~alex     |