IUBio

Peptidic map with MAP and MAPPLOT

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 04:27:50 EST 1996

In article <4i99go$4sl at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Jack Leunissen <jackl at caos.kun.nl> writes:
>   Philippe Dessen wrote:
>   > During training we have discover an uncdocumentated function in GCG :
>   > use of MAP or MAPPLOT with a protein sequence .
>   > Perfect !! production of a peptidic map with peptidic cleavage reagents.
>   > There is nothing in genhelp or paper doc ...
>
>   But isn't this exactly what "peptidemap" does? In fact, this is an alias
>   for ( set noglob; $GCGUTILDIR/map -programname=peptidemap !* ). So you
>   see, it is MAP!

Well, yes. But the real fun is with MAPPLOT and there is no alias
for that.

True, the documentation does say it works on both DNA and protein, but you
have to go really deeply through the text - and peptidemap is not in
the same section of the manual as map :-)

Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk             | The Sanger Centre
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Cambs, CB10 1RQ