Peptidic map with MAP and MAPPLOT

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 04:23:09 EST 1996

In article <4i8qvj$hgh at lovelace.infobiogen.fr> dessen at lovelace.infobiogen.fr (Philippe Dessen) writes:
>   During training we have discover an uncdocumentated function in GCG :
>   use of MAP or MAPPLOT with a protein sequence .
>   Perfect !! production of a peptidic map with peptidic cleavage reagents.
>   There is nothing in genhelp or paper doc ...

... and for another trick ...

EGCG includes a file egenrundata:aaall.dat ("AA all") which just has
a list of amino acids. Using this as the pattern file in MAPPLOT
with a protein sequence gives a very nice plot of amino acid distributions.
All withut extending GCG at all :-)

aaall.dat is included below.

All amino acids, for use with protein mapping software

Name    Offset  Site  Overhang  Documentation    ..

Ala     1       A'    .         ! Alanine
Cys     1       C'    .         ! Cysteine
Asp     1       D'    .         ! Aspartate
Glu     1       E'    .         ! Glutamate
Phe     1       F'    .         ! Phenylalanine
Gly     1       G'    .         ! Glycine
His     1       H'    .         ! Histidine
Ile     1       I'    .         ! Isoleucine
Lys     1       K'    .         ! Lysine
Leu     1       L'    .         ! Leucine
Met     1       M'    .         ! Methionine
Asn     1       N'    .         ! Asparagine
Pro     1       P'    .         ! Proline
Gln     1       Q'    .         ! Glutamine
Arg     1       R'    .         ! Arginine
Ser     1       S'    .         ! Serine
Thr     1       T'    .         ! Threonine
Val     1       V'    .         ! Valine
Trp     1       W'    .         ! Tryptophan
Tyr     1       Y'    .         ! Tyrosine

Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk             | The Sanger Centre
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Cambs, CB10 1RQ