IUBio

Mac XWindows emulators.....

Nick Staffa Staffa at NIEHS.NIH.GOV
Thu Mar 14 10:12:08 EST 1996

We got MacX 1.5 yesterday for a trial.  Maybe someone else out there
has some experience with it and can tell me perhaps what I am doing
wrong...

Unlike MacX 1.2, WPI could not get MacX 1.5 to put up a window unless
we first got a simple xterm window up by running /usr/bin/X11/xterm.
When we did this, then we could ask MacX to launch
setenv DISPLAY nnn.nn.nn.nnn:0.0;startwpi.csh.

Trying to launch WPI our usual way, the monitor window would show a
successful login, but no WPI messages, and no WPI window would appear.
If we first launch the command
/usr/bin/X11/xterm -ls -sb -display mickeyfinn:0.0
then we can separately launch the command
setenv DISPLAY mickeyfinn:0.0;startwpi.csh
which does another login.
This successfully brings up the WPI windows but does generate the
message:

X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to....

No one has ever been able to explain to me why these sorts of
messages appear, or not appear.  I'd appreciate any comments or
corrections.