IUBio

Mac XWindows emulators.....

Chad Price cprice at molbio.unmc.edu
Thu Mar 7 11:53:34 EST 1996

Dr.Greg Quinn wrote:

> Mr SMNN Faruque (s.faruque at umds.ac.uk) wrote:
> : > eXodus from White Pine Software
>
> : the demo of this was terrible.  Unlike eXodus (for MSWindows), all the
> : X-Windows appeared inside a single Mac window and I couldn't seem to
> : switch between X-Windows.
>
> Set the window manager to run 'rootless mac windws' rather than the
> default rooted, which is no use for wpi. I didn't think the demo was bad,

Rootless motif is even better. On a Mac using rootless motif, it looks just like
it does on my Sun Console.  I couldn't ask for more.

Just remember to allocate enough memory for it (I've set it to 16MB, and run up to
10 or more X-wondows using eXodus.)

> but at $240 a pop, it's a bit expensive.

If your institute has lots of users, try site licence.  It comes down to less than
half that.

--

Chad Price
cprice at molbio.unmc.edu