IUBio

Mac XWindows emulators.....

Andy Law Andy.Law at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 6 04:43:39 EST 1996

In article <313C81AD.4264 at umds.ac.uk>, s.faruque at umds.ac.uk wrote:

 >  Andy Law wrote:
 >  >
 >  > In article <4hfkm4$p3p at nntp1.best.com>, jquinn at nntp.best.com (Dr.Greg
 >  > Quinn) wrote:
 >  >
 >  >  >  Any suggestions for the XWindows emulators for Macs to allow WPI
 >  >  >  access?
 >  >
 >  > MacX (from Apple or APDA)
 >
 >  What is this like?  Any comments

This works just fine. I have version 1.2 which was hacked to run on a
7500/100. I don't think 1.5 offers much enhancement, from what I have
heard.

 >  > eXodus from White Pine Software
 >
 >  the demo of this was terrible.  Unlike eXodus (for MSWindows), all the
 >  X-Windows appeared inside a single Mac window and I couldn't seem to
 >  switch between X-Windows.

You can define rootless windows that appear as windows in their own right
in much the same way as you can with MacX. As with all these emulators,
the learning curve can be a bit steep, so first impressions may not be
reliable.

I have tried eXodus on a colleagues machine, but I prefer MacX for some
indeinable reason. Can't quite put my finger on it, but there is
definitely something about eXodus that puts me off.

 >  > MachTen (a full blown UNIX) from Tenon
 >
 >  Is this a good idea, and how about Linux?

Linux is coming RSN (allegedly), but only for PCI powermacs. MachTen is
here now and it works. If you want to run loads of unix legacy code, but
have the option to boot up in Mac OS every now and again, then one of
these solutions may be for you.

Andy Law