IUBio

Mac XWindows emulators.....

Dr.Greg Quinn jquinn at nntp.best.com
Tue Mar 5 16:08:00 EST 1996

Jerry Learn (learn at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: In article <Andy.Law-0503960911490001 at pc0734.ri.bbsrc.ac.uk>,
: Andy.Law at bbsrc.ac.uk (Andy Law) wrote:

: >In article <4hfkm4$p3p at nntp1.best.com>, jquinn at nntp.best.com (Dr.Greg
: >Quinn) wrote:
: >
: > >  Any suggestions for the XWindows emulators for Macs to allow WPI access?
: >
: >MacX (from Apple or APDA)
: >
: >eXodus from White Pine Software
: >
: >MachTen (a full blown UNIX) from Tenon
: >
: >WPI? Don't do it, it's ghastly!!

: To elaborate a bit on Andy Law's comments:

: I use eXodus, and it works pretty well.  I agree that WPI is pretty much
: an abomination (whew, that's a bit harsh).  Steve Smith, the developer of
: GDE, the Genetic Data Environment, is now working for GCG and it appears
: that WPI in its next incarnation will me more GDE-like in implementation.
: This should be a big plus, if you can wait 6-9 months.

: In the meantime, my advice is to try to find a X-terminal and try out WPI
: before buying an X emulator.  If you are a power-GCG user already, it
: might be of some help.  If not spend a few days (weeks?) trying to learn
: the command line interface for GCG.  You'll need to know how it works if
: you are going use WPI.

Jerry,

Thanks for the information; I take both yours and Andy's points, but the
problem is that the people who I am setting this up for use Macs (and are
therefore completely computer illiterate  .....a joke, mail all flames to
/dev/null!) Seriously though, it's important that I can set up an
interface to this useful suite of programs that the folks in my group can
use; suggesting to them that they use a command line interface is just
not possible; they would revert back to using DNAStrider or the like. A
graphical interface, even one as awkward as WPI is better than nothing,
particularly when coupled to what appears to be a local disk drive and
printing, which the free CAP program provides. GDE is another X program,
but at least it's somewhat more useful than WPI regarding sequence
editing.