GCG Access

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 31 15:55:00 EST 1996

In article <4tmo4d$o19 at sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>, magoldst at ix.netcom.com (Marc Goldstein) writes:
>Hello,
>
>	I am a GCG (VAX) user who will soon be loosing access, since I left my
>post-doc position at a university to get an industry position.  I
>still find GCG to be an invaluable tool, and would like to buy access
>to a VAX running GCG, so that I could TELNET in from my Netcom
>account.
>
>	Does anyone know of someplace that sells access? The university I came
>from does not sell access to non-affiliates such as alumni like me.
>I'd be willing to pay reasonable monthly/hourly fees for access to a
>GCG system.

GCG just changed the licenses around so that it is now possible for a site
to sell you access (it used to be forbidden by the GCG contract.)  The date
on the document describing this is July 11, 1996.  Did you maybe ask your
former site about this before time?  If so, maybe it would be a good idea
to ask them again.

The GCG license for a commercial/academic user is   $200/$100   per year
                        "          "      group is $3000/$1500  per year

However, I imagine that there would be other costs.  For instance, at our
site we charge our users $3.00/hour for connect time and batch queue time.

At this time I'm only planning to offer offsite access to alumni, that is,
give people an option to maintain existing accounts.

Any systems out there planning on taking on new, offsite users?  If so
please announce it, because we do get a few requests for this, and I'd like
to know where to send them.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu