Re(pmr): GenPept and SRS indices

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jul 31 17:36:29 EST 1996

In article <01I7QBAJNXBY900LTF at NIEHS.NIH.GOV> STAFFA at NIEHS.NIH.GOV ("Nick Staffa, ph 361-9422 ext226") writes:
> Methinks it is unnecessary, even unproductive to maintain SRS for
> GenPept.  Isn't all the documentation that LookUp searches in GenBank
> and not necessarily in GenPept?  (I don't see an author field in
> genpept.)  True, searching genbank would not give you a listfile with
> genpept sequences for addition to your main list and the LOCUS may
> have an extension in genpept.

Seems to be some confusion here between LookUp and SRS.

LookUp only has a tiny part of SRS. For GCG, it replaces STRINGSEARCH.

I have SRS and I have GCG. I *never* use LookUp.

For example, a nice SRS query would be:

	getz "[genbank-org:haemophilus influenzae] > genpept"

(give me the translations of all Haemophilus sequences) ... and of
course a similar search of genbank by author gets you the genpept
entries by author too.

The SRS status page currently lists 127 databases indexed and
*cross-referenced* on SRSWWW servers around the world.

The number will grow for sure (he says, frantically writing yet more
SDL files for mouse data :-)

Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division,
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk             | The Sanger Centre,
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Hinxton, Cambs, CB10 1SA,