GCG user support

Stuart M. Brown browns02 at mcrcr.med.nyu.edu
Tue Jul 30 15:14:30 EST 1996

In article <31FC8C53.39CE at you.too>, rf <me at you.too> wrote:

> Fellow Cyberpunks,
>                    I have a detailed (paper) tutorial for
> the Unix version of GCG. It is based on a tutorial for the
> VMS version written by my predecessor in this position,
> Mark Reboul. Although there are some site-specific aspects,
> 99 % of it is applicable to GCG anywhere. It is available
> to workers at nonprofit institutions for $40 US in the
> Unites States (counting postage). The cost will be higher
> outside the US to reflect shipping costs. The manual
> includes an introduction to our local system for people
> with no computer experience including a self study guide
> to learning Unix (actually a syllabus for using the Waite
> Group Unix book). The total package is about 200 pages long.
>
> If you are interested send a check for $40 made out to
>
> Columbia-Presbyterian Cancer Center
>
> to:
> Dr. Richard Friedman
> Columbia-Presbyterian Cancer Center
> Computer Facility
> Room P&S 1-420B
> 630 W. 168th St.
> New York, NY 10032

Hmmm, yet another Medical Center in NY City with a computer facility
running GCG. This is really interesting.

I guess I can get $40 for a copy of this magnum opus (if Dr. John Hill, my
predecessor here doesn't already have one lying around somewhere).  What would
be more interesing to me would be to put the whole thing up on the Web- but I
guess that would kind of put a damper on you business of selling the thing.
Let me know if you can think of any kind of collaborative projects we might get
into together.

Oops- I just found it on my book shelf "Copyright 1992 by Mark Reboul" have
you updated it for GCG v8 and do you plan to update for v9?  I'm also interested
in your general services as a biological computing resource.  We are trying to
improve are services to users at NYU and I am looking for ideas.  Can you point
me to a web page to look at your site?

--
Stuart M. Brown, Molecular Biology Consultant
NYU-MC Research Computing Resource, Dept. of Cell Biology