DNA motifs for DNA binding proteins

Rork Kuick ork at umich.edu
Wed Jul 24 12:35:01 EST 1996

Please excuse me if the question is inappropriate for this group, but I
think
people here can help.  Also excuse my language - I'm just the
bean-counting
nerd in the lab.
  We have performed footprinting that implicates several regions of our
gene-du-jour as being bound by proteins, but the sequences do not ring a
bell
in my (inexperienced) mind.  Suggest methods of attack for trying to
discover
if someone else already knows what kind of proteins might be
sticking to these sequences.  Knowing of no database of DNA consensus
sequeces
related to the problem, I have only been able to think: hunt for
homologies and
read the related papers to see if they knew if anything stuck there.
This is not
as painless as I would wish for, as you can appreciate.  And I like
painless.
     thanks, rork.
   Half an hour on-line has sometimes saved several months at the bench.