GCG user support

Eitan Rubin bcrubin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il
Mon Jul 22 09:11:42 EST 1996

In article <1996Jul16.190942.27653 at comp.bioz.unibas.ch>,
doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) wrote:

   Being familiar with the "free-lunch" problem RD raises, I have to
disagree with him. I have been providing free of charge GCG support
through the internet inside BioMOO, where I have a GCG help desk. While
answering only few inquiries, I managed to organize a small group of
volunteers who are willing to supply free lunches to people. The room is
not aimed only as a support tool - I hope to make it a place for every GCG
user to come and exchange news and views, pick up (or drop) some tips,
etc. Farthermore, the internet is practically packing with information and
gadgets connecting to GCG and sequence analysis.
  I do agree that writing an all-in-one comprehensive manual is an
expensive task. I simply don't belive such a manual should be written by
anyone but the Wisconsin group. Site specific support should be given
in-house. More general info is, will be, or should be available through
the internet, through this newsgroup, or through the mailing list which
was purposed.
  I fully support the idea, although I do not have the *technical*
knowledge required to set it up.

   Eitan Rubin.

P.S. To get to the GCG help desk:
1. telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888
2. connect as a guest or as a BioMOO member (BioMOO is open to all biologists).
3. type: go GCG help
4. look around and talk to poeple (my name there is EitanR).

--
Eitan Rubin, Plant Genetics, Weizmann Inst. of Science
Phone: (972)-8-9342421
Email: bcrubin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il
                  Shalom Haverim