Secondary Structure Prediction

Stephen Mulcahy smulcahy at acer.gen.tcd.ie
Thu Apr 11 17:22:55 EST 1996

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de) wrote:

: As far as I remember GOR is based on the physical properties of amino
: acids and not on a statistical approach, as is Chou/Fasman. However,
: both are fairly unreliable compared to "modern" methods, such as
: PredictProtein (send an email with the word "help" in the subject/body
: to predictprotein at embl-heidelberg.de).

Yes, I have since discovered both nnpredict and ProteinPredict, The output from
ProteinPredict in particular is extremely impressive but the general
impression I've gotten from most material I've read regarding secondary
structure prediction is that one should avail of as many methods as one can
use and then look at all the results for an overview of what the structure
*may* be.

It looks like this will have to suffice until someone solves that damn protein
folding problem :)

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy
4th Industrial Biochemistry Undergraduate

www: http://skynet.ul.ie/~stephen