Secondary Structure Prediction

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Apr 11 02:47:30 EST 1996

Stephen Mulcahy (smulcahy at acer.gen.tcd.ie) wrote:
> I gather that Chou and Fasman is suited to globular proteins, are there any
> specific situations to which GOR is suited or does it serve as a backup to
> the Chou and Fasman prediction?

As far as I remember GOR is based on the physical properties of amino
acids and not on a statistical approach, as is Chou/Fasman. However,
both are fairly unreliable compared to "modern" methods, such as
PredictProtein (send an email with the word "help" in the subject/body
to predictprotein at embl-heidelberg.de).

--Cornelius.