Secondary Structure Prediction

Geoff Barton gjb at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 10 03:41:29 EST 1996

Stephen Mulcahy wrote:

> I'm currently using Peptidestructure to conduct some secondary analysis on
> a protein and I'm wondering which of Chou and Fasman or GOR is more suitable.
> I gather that Chou and Fasman is suited to globular proteins, are there any
> specific situations to which GOR is suited or does it serve as a backup to
> the Chou and Fasman prediction?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> -stephen

Both Chou and Fasman and GOR were developed on globular proteins.  If
you want to try more up to date secondary structure prediction methods
follow the links from Rob Russell's guide to structure prediction.

http://bonsai.lif.icnet.uk/people/rob/CCP11BBS/

This gives a pretty comprehensive guide to methods currently
available via the WWW for secondary and tertiary structure
prediction and fold recognition.

His list of useful links may also be helpful:
http://bonsai.lif.icnet.uk/useful/useful2.html

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey J. Barton, Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, University of
Oxford,