GCG Program Information

Dr.Greg Quinn jquinn at nntp.best.com
Mon Apr 8 12:12:54 EST 1996

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de) wrote:
: Robert D. Darby (darby at coho.halcyon.com) wrote:
: > Where does on get information on the gcg software?

: http://www.gcg.com/

: > Is there a downloadable demo program?

: GCG is a program package for workstations. It does not make much sense
: to install it on your favourite machine. I think you also need a
: fortran compiler to install it (I've never played with GCG as an
: admin, unfortunately). If you want GCG, persuade your computer center
: to buy it.

GCG comes with executables for the platforms it supports; no recompiling
is normally necessary, (thank heavens, since it can be a pig to recompile)
except for bug update corrections if wanted. I think it's  mostly ported
(or at least partly ported) to C now. Installing it is relatively painless.
I recall that it used to require the fortran compiler libraries on
some platforms; I haven't checked recently if this this is still the case.