IUBio

FTPing VMS to Unix

Christoph Gartmann GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE
Tue Oct 24 06:21:42 EST 1995

In <01HWSBCL5D8G8ZEUY7 at NIEHS.NIH.GOV> STAFFA at NIEHS.NIH.GOV writes:

> We are making a transition from GCG on Vax/VMS to GCG on UNIX.
> People will be wanting to transfer files.
> This is fairly easy with FTP, but it would be nice to preserve
> directory structures, especially Fragment Assembly Projects.
> I suppose one could write a command file on VMS to do this,
> but by the time I did that, I could do everyone's files for them.
> Suggestions and/or command files/scripts would be welcome.

Write a small command file that will zip all the files of a user and
ftp them to the UNIX box. One command file for all the users is enough,
each user should call it himself.

On the UNIX side a simple unzip will recreate the whole structure.

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221       |
| Immunbiologie                 PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN    |
| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de           |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                     |
+----------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? -----------+