To compress or not to compress?

Christoph Gartmann GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE
Thu May 18 05:13:33 EST 1995

Hello,

imagine the following scenario: you create a nucleotide sequence database
using EmblToGCG or GenBankToGCG together with the option NOBINARY. Now you
have a .SEQ file in uncompressed format (all ASCII). You'll realize that
the size of such a .SEQ file is more than two times larger than that of a
compressed one. Now, is there a way to compress the .SEQ file afterwards?
If so, how? Or do I need to write a program?

I am aware of the posibility to perform something like
   fetch uncompressed:*
and then concatenate everything into a single file and running
   embltogcg huge.file

But there should be something better...

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221       |
| Immunbiologie                 PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN    |
| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de           |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                     |
+----------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? -----------+