5000+ seqs in GCG...

Przemko przemko at reks.uia.ac.be
Fri Mar 3 06:26:58 EST 1995

Hi!
This is a question to all of you GCG experts, die-hards, gurus etc...
I would like to do a multiple sequence alignement on >5000 seqs (short). I need
this to do evolutionalry analysis. GCG needs a .msf format so now is the
question.
How can I specify that number of sequences for the pileup program WITHOUT typing
all the names in my favorite text editor (pico NOT vi...). Typing all names to
create a list file is rather stupid. Also, GCG does not accept a multiple
sequence files (it is also stupid). So, what do I do?
BTW, I am trying to do that using wpi (sequence/add/select/filter etc.) but it
seems that the machine I run it on tries to use all the CPU available just to
load the seqs. Now, that does not make me a popular guy among other users.
Any suggestions (short of abandoning the whole idea...)?
ThankX
Przemko