IUBio

arrayed database?

Roy Omond omond at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 04:16:28 EST 1995

In article <3uud01$at9 at celebrian.otago.ac.nz>,
peter at sanger.otago.ac.nz (Peter Stockwell) writes:

> David Womble (dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu) wrote:
>
>> I would like to purchase a high performance hard disk array for the
>> machine on which we run GCG.  Is it possible to distribute the database
>> across the arrayed disks to increase search performance?
>
> You don't mention what operating system you are using.  If UNIX then
> you can easily distribute the DB by linking files.  This allows files
> to reside on any accessible* drive while appearing as directory
> entries where ever you wish.
>
> I'm not sure that the GCG installation procedures will necessarily do
> this easily - you may need to decompose or edit command files to make
> it work.
>
> * accessible = readable by NFS or UFS from the GCG system.

	If (VMS or UNIX) Then Use RAID-0 (commonly known as disk striping);

Oops... I've noticed the bug in the above program :-)

Here's version 1.1 without the bug:

	If (.true.) Then Use RAID-0 (commonly known as disk striping);

Roy Omond
System Manager
European Bioinformatics Institute
European Molecular Biology Laboratory