IUBio

different interface needed for V8.0 altogether;tcp/ip clients

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Fri Jan 27 02:04:26 EST 1995

gquinn (gquinn at nick.med.usf.edu) wrote:

: I heard from a few sources (one direct from GCG) that they are planning
: to make (have already made?) a TCP/IP client/server setup. My
: concerns over this are
: 1) I will have died of old age before this becomes available
: 2) It will be tied into some peculiar licensing system they will
: develop.

There is the BLAST client in GCG Version 8 which approaches NCBI's BLAST
server to run searches on TCP/IP basis as client/server. We run FASTA
and BLAST from within GCG on our own server network in Europe (EMBnet
nodes) via HASSLE since more than two years; and a SRS line browser
(SRS from Thure Etzold) is coming. Yes, there is interest and activity
from both GCG and GCG-conformant suppliers to have client/server setups.
However, up to now, GCG-code was in the *CLIENT*, i.e. it is required
to have the GCG package installed where the *CLIENT* runs. To make a
Personal Computer run a Client is another story.

Regards
Reinhard

--
 R.Doelz         Klingelbergstr.70| Tel. x41 61 267 2247  Fax x41 61 267 2078|
 Biocomputing        CH 4056 Basel| electronic Mail    doelz at ubaclu.unibas.ch|