Different interface needed for V8.0 altogether:TCP/IP clients

Peter.DeRijk derijkp at reks.uia.ac.be
Thu Jan 26 11:01:50 EST 1995

Reinhard Doelz (doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch) wrote:
: Peter Rice (pmr at unst.sanger.ac.uk) wrote:
:
: : I believe there are other groups also looking at Tcl/Tk for their
: : software, so some consensus may be beginning to appear.
:
: Well, sort of. Similar to my comments on the VIBRANT toolkit;
: Tcl/Tk is primarily a user interface. We'll need to come up with
: a communication below in order to transfer files and sort out the
: problems with the graphics. Agreed, Tcl/Tk is nice, but writing scripts
: might become difficult if you need to go into interactive graphics.
: I noticed that Tcl/Tk becomes very slow if the number of objects

Although Tcl/Tk is very useful for creating the interface, it is much more
flexible, because it IS a programming language. I know of two extensions
which will make communucation over TCP easy (tclTCP and tcl-dp). I will
have to take a closer look at them though. I do not know what exactly
you want to achieve with the interactive graphics, so I cannot properly
comment. The Canvas widget does get slow with LOTS of objects, but even
then it will still be faster than current practices (like sending a new
bitmap after each command). And alternatives are possible, such as sending
commands wich will modify the bitmap displayed locally.
: handled is getting too large.
:
: Regards
: Reinhard
:
:
: --
:  R.Doelz         Klingelbergstr.70| Tel. x41 61 267 2247  Fax x41 61 267 2078|
:  Biocomputing        CH 4056 Basel| electronic Mail    doelz at ubaclu.unibas.ch|
:  Biozentrum der Universitaet Basel|-------------- Switzerland ---------------|
: <a href=http://beta.embnet.unibas.ch/>EMBnet Switzerland:info at ch.embnet.org</a>

Peter De Rijk                   derijkp at reks.uia.ac.be

To achieve the impossible, one must think the absurd.
to look where everyone else has looked, but to see what no one else has seen.
--
----
Peter De Rijk			derijkp at reks.uia.ac.be