IUBio

X-Windows for version 8 GCG, Opinions?

ewan birney birney at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 21 07:57:11 EST 1995

przemko at reks.uia.ac.be (Przemko) wrote:

> Well, I am using (or attempting to) wpi. See, I hate this command line
> interface that asks me eg in pileup to create a special file with names only
> and THEN use it in other programs aa novice). But, etc...
> Just my 0.02$ worth
> Przemko

My 0.02$ is a little worse: I find it annoying and difficult
to use: of course it is more intutive than line feed, but I have
a feeling that the GCG menu (which can be found at ftp.ebi.ac.uk)
makes more sense.

Lets hope they improve it....

Of course, the turn around time GCG have for improving
programs isn't great (hence all the work by people on EGCG)

:(

But I realise that trying to make a good sequence analysis package
requires the maintainace of huge amounts of code, and as they
jsut moved from fortran->C then I should think they are at the
moment trying to track down memory leaks etc etc...

ewan