Different interface needed for V8.0 altogether:TCP/IP clients

ewan birney birney at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 22 05:25:25 EST 1995

gquinn <gquinn at com1.med.usf.edu> wrote:

> Following the sudden resurgence in interest in X-windows emulators
> since the release of GCG V8.0, I am prompted to add the following.

[...delete...]
> What  am suggesting (in a long-winded fashion!) is that GCG should
> NOT be concentrating on honing their X-interface to perfection,
> but rather developing TCP/IP clients that would run on local Macs
> and PC's, and would connect to a GCG daemon running on the server
> that would handle program requests, submit them, and send them back
> the remote PC/Mac. I this way, data throughput would be enhanced
> enormously, sequence data would be physically located on the machine
> and the program could have a graphical interface even when used from
> home or very remote locations, using the now-common SLIP or PPP
> protocols or emulators (eg. TIA, Twinsock) and connecting via
> a modem/telephone line. The people at NCBI have done exactly this
> for Entrez very successfully, which runs superbly over a modem/PPP
> modem/SLIP or modem/Twinsock. This is the obvious way forward.....
> I wish I knew enough about programming to write the client software
> myself, but my guess is that this would be a relatively easy thing for
> someone to do, using the mechanism created for WPI.

Ha... if you think its easy you do it :)

Seriously, what you are asking for here is (at least for
me) a programming nightmare. GCG are quite right to stay well
clear of this. (unfortunately).

You could try the WWW<->GCG interface (which is out there somewhere).
Not ideal for your purpose, but closer to the client server idea.

ewan