What CDS means ?

Francis Ouellette francis at borduas.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Apr 10 21:47:46 EST 1995

BMPOUNY at weizmann.weizmann.ac.il wrote:

>           I have to know for sure what is the meaning of CDS.
>      For example: after doing "fetch" for one gene sequence,
>      I get in one of the lines :

>       CDS   283.   .1695

>     What does that mean ?

Dear Yoni,

CDS is CoDing Sequence and the numbers refer to the interval
on a nucleotide sequence which refer to the the coordinates
which encode the protein.  This is usually expressed as:

CDS   283..1695

in a GenBank flatfile. (no space between the "..")
Expressed like this it means that 283 is the first letter
of the start codon (usually A from ATG, but there are
exceptions) and 1685 is the last position of the stop codon.
The CDS intervals should include the start and the stop
codons.

regards,

francis