Using sonic digitizer with VersaTerm

Michael Myers myersm at rockyj.rockefeller.edu
Sat Oct 22 22:31:12 EST 1994

In article <1994Oct22.154852.26860 at oxvaxd>,
Jasper Rees - Oxford University <jrees at vax.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

>Basically the digitizer port needs defining to be the same as the connection
>port for the Mac/PC, our solution was to hook up the modem ('cos actually that
>is what we are using on the serial lines, these go to a terminal server ssytem
>that talks LAT to the VMSsystem, but the principle is going be the same
whatever) to a Mac and a digitizer, but with the wiring split two ways, so that
>the Mac gets transmit and recieve and the digitizer can only receive, (GCG
>recommend a box that does this, but I just got our computing lab to build us a
>three way RS232 wire-up).
>
>Then off you go (as documented). Only potential problem is that you might need
>the line speed set to less than maximal, we can't exceed 4800 baud for this to
>work, the digitizer data (11 bytes) is sent too fast for something else in the
>system to cope. Still, you can't digitize fast enough for this to be a problem
>anyway!
>
>If you don't have any serial lines (modem, whatever) then this doesn't help at
>all. Sorry.
>
>D Jasper G Rees  MA DPhil                  You are in a twisty little maze of
>FAX:  +44 1865 275501              Email:  Jasper.Rees at Pathology.Oxford.Ac.UK

Ok, I'm beginning to understand. But, with regard to your three-way
serial link: did you mean to say that digitizer is only able to TRANSMIT,
rather than receive? I don't see how the latter would do any good. We do
have a modem about 40 feet away that is connected to my advisor's Mac. He
uses it exclusively to call in from his powerbook using Timbuktu. It
would be too much of a hassle to set up dual use of the modem. Aside from
that, we would have to pay our comp services department a monthly fee to
have a port on the terminal server set aside for our use. Or, actually,
is there a unix command that one could use to determine which tty port is
being used, then you would have to use the -NAMES switch to define it for
SeqEd? That way you could use whatever port you called in on, rather than
having a separate phone number.

In the end, the best solution for us would be to have some way of redirecting
the data coming into the modem port to the SEND side of the ethernet
connection and a way for SeqEd to anticipate that.

Until that arrives, I'll be using the Digitizer app.

michael myers
myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu