Using sonic digitizer with VersaTerm

Michael Myers myersm at rockyj.rockefeller.edu
Thu Oct 20 22:21:25 EST 1994

In article <01HIDZ673EJ094P35U at niehs.nih.gov>,
Nick Staffa, ph 361-9422 ext226 <STAFFA at NIEHS.NIH.GOV> wrote:
>I have a user who really wants to use a sonic digitizer for entering data from
>gels.
>Most folks here are using their MACs or PCs with terminal emulation programs.
>These computers have a direct ethernet link.
>There is no hooking another device in parallel to a modem input as in the
>past, nor can one connect directly to a terminal port.
>
>We are now also in the process of installing our Version 8 with WPI.
>Is there a neat way to use a digitizer with say Mac-X?
>If Mac-X allowed data input thru the printer port, one could modify
>Seqed to turn on this mode and accept the data, but I doubt if it does.
>Is there a Mac-X expert out there who would know how to do this?

Amazing. I just called GCG tech support regarding this very question.
Unfortunately, they could not suggest a solution to this problem. I have
our computer science group thinking about it now. I thought that perhaps
one could call into the terminal server using a modem, then after the
connection made, switch to the digitizer. The particular term. server port
would have to be defined as the input device for SeqEd. Would one be able
to observe all this while running GCG on the same Mac/PC connected via
ethernet? Seems impossible to get this to work without a terminal emulation
program designed specifically for the task.

At any rate, If you discover a solution, please let me know.
I will do the same.

Michael Myers
The Rockefeller University
myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu