IUBio

valines

Conrad Halling chhall at bb1t.monsanto.com
Mon May 23 18:03:08 EST 1994

In article <199405232028.NAA29657 at net.bio.net>,
     keith_elliston at merck.com (Keith Elliston) wrote:

> Actually, using the GCG package on the vax, you can use findpatterns to answer
> the question.  Use the pattern <~V{1,49}~V> to search your favorite database.
> (ie., N-term not val, followed by 1-49 residues that are not val, and the
> cterm)
> If you want to use the sequences for some other analyses, or as a database,
> use the /names option.

This is an approach that completely escaped me.  This approach is far
superior since it is more flexible -- you don't have to write a new program
every time you change your search criteria.  Unfortunately, I cannot find a
way to limit the search to proteins of fewer than 50 residues in length
since the "<" and ">" constraints don't seem to work as advertised.  I can
limit the overhead somewhat by using the command line qualifier
"/exclude=50,20000", but the results still include sequences of 50 or more
residues.
--
Conrad Halling
Monsanto Co., St. Louis