IUBio

GCG FOR THE MAC ?

Jerry Learn learn at smaug.ucr.edu
Thu May 12 11:18:50 EST 1994

In article AA01669 at leper1, zucker%leper1 at LEPER1.CA.AECOM.YU.EDU (Thomas Zucker-Scharff x3512) writes:
>NO!!
>
>If your using a MAC, a free program called Network Entrez is available from the
>NCBI in Washington.  You can download it from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, the entrez/
>network directory has the Nentrez.hqx file.

But my impression was that Keith Akama was looking for software that will do
"homology searches."  I assume that this means answering the question: what
sequences in the databases are similar (perhaps homologous) to mine.  NetEntrez
is wonderful software but I don't believe it can do homology searches.  A
possibility in the near future is using the forms-capable version of MacMosaic
(version 2.0, soon to be released?).  One can then use Mosaic as a front end to
do BLAST and FASTA searches through the NCBI or the GenQuest system at ORNL.

I am currently having network problems that keep me from accessing the servers,
so I can't easily dig up the URLs for many of these services.  The URL for the
BLAST search query page is "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Recipon/blast_search.html"
My home page that provides links to many of the services is at
"http://smaug.ucr.edu/"

---
Jerry Learn

Dept. of Botany & Plant Sciences | learn at smaug.ucr.edu | LEARN at UCRVMS.BITNET
University of California         | (909) 787-4673      | FAX: (909) 787-4437
Riverside, CA  92521  USA