IUBio

fromembl in gcg

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sun Mar 27 13:14:37 EST 1994

jenkins at aidsun.nibsc.ac.uk wrote:

: I have copied from the states the Los-Alamos hiv dbase (embl format).

: Using fromembl (unix flavour, SGI machine) I broke the flat file into
: individual protein sequences.

: The output files containid "$" in the name eg env$u445.embl.  My flavour
: of unix will not recognise this dollar symbol, so i can't do anything
: with these sequences.

I would suppose that you have troubles with the $ because it is a special
sign for almost all unix shells, designating a shell variable.

There are two ways to circumvent this.
1) You can force the shell to recognize the $ sign by putting a backslash
   in front of it, e.g. env\$u445.embl instead of env$u445.embl.
2) You can quote the name of the file in single quotes, e.g.
   'env$u445.embl' instead of 'env$u445.embl'.

Hope that helps,

--Cornelius.

PS: You would make some people happy by using not more than 80 chars/line :-)

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */