List of entries --> descriptions?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sat Dec 3 06:50:23 EST 1994

Keith Robison (robison at golgi.harvard.edu) wrote:
> Cornelius Krasel (krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de) wrote:

>>[how to get short descriptions from PIR when having only a list with IDs?]

> I don't have a concrete idea about how to go about it, but doesn't
> STRINGS output contain both the ID and description line?  If you
> could figure out how to use STRINGS to search all your entry names,
> it might give you the result.

I figured it out. The following line seems to do the trick (GCG 8.0):

$ STRINGS /menu=A	! search only descriptions
	  /infile=@my_list_of_ids
	  /outfile=desired_result
	  /match=OR
	  /batch

Search pattern is "a e i o u". (Have you ever seen a description without
any vocals?) :-)

Thanks a lot!

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */