List of entries --> descriptions?

Keith Robison robison at golgi.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 3 02:29:10 EST 1994

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de) wrote:
: Hello (bio)computing gurus,

: I have the following problem: I have generated a list of approx. 5000
: PIR entries which contains one entry name (i.e. PIR1:A35768) per line.
: I would like to make a file which contains in addition the short
: description of each entry behind the entry name (e.g. PIR1:A35768
: small nuclear foobar protein, mouse, 37 kD). The only idea I had
: so far (fetching all of the files and extracting the description by hand)
: seems not very feasible because of the lack of disk space :-) Is there
: another (VMS-based) way to accomplish this?

I don't have a concrete idea about how to go about it, but doesn't
STRINGS output contain both the ID and description line?  If you
could figure out how to use STRINGS to search all your entry names,
it might give you the result.

Alternatively, I suppose you could use STRINGS with some dumb keyword
to get all this information for PIR, and then extract out the lines
you want.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI